The church is located in the Rione dei Monti and it seems to close off the scenery in the historical part of Alberobello. The church was built in the space of 14 months and was opened to the public on 13th June 1927. Such a fast operation was achieved thanks to the clergyman Antonio Lippolis (1886-1972) who entrusted the project to an engineer called Signorile Bianchi and to master De Leonardis. According to tradition the priest, outraged by the spreading of Protestantism, decided to erect a new religious site as a symbol against the heresies and this would explain such speediness.
The church was dedicated to Jesus Christ King of the Universe and to the saint from Padua, who by that time was known as “the Hammer of the Heretics”.
From a stylistic point of view, the church is built using the same technique as for the trullo, with a few modern tactics as well as others which took inspiration from the Romanesque and Puglia’s architecture. The façade is dominated by a rose and by three spandrels along which runs a sequence of hanging archlets, very similar to the decoration of the Romanesque churches of the Puglia region.
The central dome soars high up for 19.80 metres and the skylight accentuates it even further by another 3.20 metres, around which revolve four small domes crowned by pinnacles. On the right hand side of the façade soars the trullo-inspired bell tower enveloped in its cylindrical body placed just slightly lower than the central dome (18.90 metres).
The monumental entrance leads to a central layout very sombre chamber where one is captured by the simplicity and refinery of the raw stone. The only touch of colour is visible on the wall of the high altar, completely covered by a fresco dating back to the 20th century depicting Christ Pantocrator surrounded by saints.
This work of art is by Adolfo Rollo.
AA.VV., (1997), Alberobello, la città dei trulli, Sambuceto (CH), New Cards, 1 ed.
Martellotta, A. (2003), Alberobello, itinerario storico ed artistico, Lecce, Capone Editore, 1 ed.