Following truck-road n° 16 towards Ostuni for about 8 kilometres, one encounters the crossroad for Cisternino, a town which, with Locorotondo and Martina Franca, marks the boundary of the Valley of Itria.
The white limestone houses of this tidy and graceful centre, situated in a hill, break up the intense green of the fertile countryside, dotted with Trulli.
Of Messapian origin, Cisternino was once a Roman municipality, called Sturnium, whilein medieval times it became a possession of the Basilian monks.
The old town has a typically oriental look; its houses contain hidden courtyards and their floors are connected by external stairways. One can also see a quadrangular Norman-Swabian Tower and the much-renovated Romanesque Church of S. Nicola. The latter houses a 1517 statue of the Madonna and the Child by Stefano da Putignano, better known as the Madonna del Cardellino.
Some corners of the town offer tentalizing glimpses of the calley, while, in the area of Cisternino, near the Ottava Farm, one can see a large interesting Dolmen.