The modern town Palace in piazza Libertà, adjacent to the church of San Francesco D'Assisi, used to be the Franciscan abode from 1304 to 1809. Following the suppression of the religious orders in 1813, it was bought by the Municipality and allocated to host the public utilities offices. This change of use coincided also with a particular historic period, like the Italian Unification, which called for the new administrators to reorganize the administrative life, and to give the town a new look. In an architectonic sense, the maker of the town radical change was the architect Ferdinando Ayroldi who, between 1861 and 1887, redesigned the convent façade in neoclassical style. The façade is articulated according to a very linear model, highlighting only the central part with four pilasters. The only decorative element is the fastigium, which contains the clock, an example of 19th century elegance, with references to the Baroque inventiveness. Above, the spandrel softens the angular lines, to hold fruit festoons and to wreath the town coat of arms and the two atlantes which support the passing of time.
Since 1887, the convent became the official home of the Town Hall, hosting all the relevant offices. Entering the building, after going past the entrance hall, one gets to the cloister, realized in 1739 by the engineer Pietro Magarelli, and from here, through a wide staircase, one climbs up to the upper floor, where the canvases by Onofrio Bramante dedicated to the Historia Apuliae can be admired. The pictorial cycle reproduces the most relevant moments of the history of the Puglia Region and of Ostuni.
AA.VV. (2000), Guida di Ostuni, Lecce, Lecce, Congedo Editore, 1. ed.
Tanzarella, A. (1989), Ostuni ieri, Fasano (Br), Schena Editore.
Sozzi, A. (2008), Ostuni nella storia, Fasano (Br), Schena Editore.